Mittwoch, 20. Dezember 2006

Thanks to Edgar Wallace ...

... Fog - a phenomenon that most Germans of my generation still think to be ever present in England. Must be all the old Edgar Wallace films I grew up with.

Well, it is much rarer to see dense fog over here than I expected when I first made it to this island 12 years ago. Today however is a prime example of a peasouper.

The fog started yesterday night, and with temperatures of about -5 overnight created some lovely ice rink effect on my drive into work today. The landscape was covered in a thick layer of frost, and I don't think I have ever seen cob webs quite as thick and heavy with it as today. I cross a range of hills half way and once I was over that, it was a clear and sunny day.

On my way back home I found out via radio that London Heathrow airport remained fogbound all day and is forecast to be like that for another 2-3 days, so that most of BA's London flights were cancelled - which in turn led to my flight to Geneva tomorrow being cancelled out of a sense of premonition.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining. It's not my idea of an enjoyable day to get up at 4 to get a flight at 6, then to spend the day in an office at an airport, fly home and get home at 10 at night.

So, my thanks by proxy go to Edgar Wallace for allowing me a more relaxing wind down for christmas!

Keine Kommentare: